Hippolyte Camille Delpy was born in Joigny in 1842 and was a pupil of Charles-François Daubigny (1817-1878). Under Daubigny’s guidance he became one of the finest landscape artists working at the end of the 19th century in Northern France and his name quickly became synonymous with the Barbizon and Impressionist Movements. In 1869, he began to exhibit at the Paris Salon. He travelled extensively throughout the provinces meeting Camille Pissarro (1830-1903) and Paul Cézanne (1839-1906) who had a great impact on Delpy’s use of colour. Although he remained faithful to the technique of Daubigny Delpy brought a more vigorous touch and a greater intensity of colour to his work. Delpy exhibited in the ‘Exposition International’ in 1889, with Giuseppe de Nittis, James Abbott MacNeil Whistler, Claude Monet, Alfred Sisley, Camille Pissarro, Pierre Auguste Renoir and Berthe-Marie-Pauline Morisot. To find Delpy in this company clearly shows the esteem in which he was held in his lifetime. The highly influential Parisian dealer Georges Petit handled Delpy’s work and gave him several one man exhibtions. Galerie Georges Petit was also representing Alfred Sisley and Camille Pissarro. He was a member of the Society of French Artists in 1886. His works can be found in museums in Beziers and Louviers.