The strong structure and free brush strokes of La Cathédrale d'Auxerre reveal the techniques the artist learned first-hand from Gauguin as well as his debt to Sisley and Pissarro. In 1890, after a period of pointillist experimentation, Loiseau moved to Pont-Aven where he re-found his pure landscape ideal painting in a Post-Impressionist manner directly from nature. He had a particular interest in the depiction of water within a landscape, exemplified by this painting. With a contract from Durand-Ruel, Loiseau was free to travel extensively in France, painting in Burgundy - as presented here in Auxerre's Gothic tour de force - in the Dordogne, Dieppe and on the banks of the Seine. DIMENSIONS: (unframed) 25.5 x 21.3 ins/ 64.8 x 54.1 cm SIGNATURE: Signed 'G. Loiseau' (lower left) MEDIUM: Oil on canvas