Voiliers by Jean Dufy
- Private Collection, United Kingdom;
- 16.00 x 9.50 ins
40.64 x 24.13 cms
- Oil on canvas
- Catalogue No:
- About Artwork
- Buy With Confidence
Voiliers is an incredibly expressive nautical scene by Jean Dufy who was known for his depictions of leisurely social activities of the French bourgeoisie. Dufy was strongly influenced by the musical figures that surrounded him, especially in Paris. The expressiveness of Voiliers, recalls the music that Dufy would have heard in the cafes of Paris- a culture Dufy was very much a part of. The strong vertical brushstrokes in Voiliers conveys the sense of movement associated with jazz and also recalls the fluid motion of waves. The title itself, ‘Voiliers’ refers to the specific type of boats depicted in this painting; the name of which is derived for the French word for sail or veil. The boats were previously mercantile ships but during Dufy’s lifestyle they were used as leisure boats, as seen by the graphic figures in the foreground.
If you'd like to learn more about Jean Dufy, visit the artist page.
About Jean Dufy
Private Collection, United Kingdom;
Private Collection, United Kingdom
- Professional Associations - We have built up a strong reputation for the quality of the paintings, drawings and sculpture that we curate, exhibit and sell. Our professional associations with bodies such as The British Antique Dealers’ Association (BADA) and the Association of Art & Antique Dealers (LAPADA) are as a result of our reputation for integrity, our wide knowledge of fine arts and the high quality of our stock. Our business standards and expertise are reviewed regularly to adhere vigorously with enforced Codes. Our memberships and commitment to its Code of Conducts, gives our buyers confidence when purchasing a work from us.
- Authenticity - Condition reports and certificates of authenticity vary in their nature by artwork, for more information on your pieces of interest, please enquire with the gallery.
- Artwork images - We take pride in the attention we give to our images of the artworks for purchase and invest in these to ensure outputs are aligned as closely as possible to the item in reality. We do not apply filters or modify images, we provide high quality images to reflect the high quality of our artworks.
Your purchase process
- Payment processing - You can be assured that payments are securely processed through Worldpay's trusted payment gateway.
- Shipping and packaging - Shipping and packaging requirements are assessed per piece to ensure the most suitable protection for the artwork. Trinity House will therefore call following purchase to agree the recommendations and costs.
We offer the following services which we will be happy to discuss with you following your purchase, alternatively you can enquire for more information.
- Insurance - We offer insurance appraisals to protect your prised artwork and help you find the right cover and policy for you.
- Framing - We are able to advise on framing and have access to every type and style to suit any artistic period or room setting.
- Conservation - The nature of the materials involved in a painting mean that on occasion some pieces are susceptible to movement and the effects of natural ageing. We are able to provide advice on practical measures to conserve the original condition of a piece and have relationships with restorers and framers to offer you a range of services to meet your needs.