Private collection, United Kingdom
Choultsé was born in Petrograd, Russia in 1877 and he studied painting with Constantin Krighitsky. The artist’s popularity dates from his first exhibition at the Académie des Beaux-Arts, Petrograd, in 1903. Following this noteworthy debut, he not only became an honoured exhibitor at all the major galleries in Moscow and Petrograd, but was also elected court painter to Czar Nicholas II.
After the Russian Revolution of 1917, because of his ties to the Czar, Choultsé felt obliged to leave Russia and established residency in Paris. He began exhibiting at the Salon des Artistes Français in 1923. Demand for his work was increasing and his first one-man show in Paris held at the Galleries of Gerald Freres sold out on the opening day. Similar success was seen at his first one-man show in London, where all his works sold in the first few days.
Thanks to his lengthy trip to Europe during the uncertainty of the revolutionary years, his pieces frequently depict the Swiss Alps, southern France and northern Italy. He was called a “magician of light” because of an almost magic realism of his paintings.