With Clearing Fog, a promise of a Fine Day ‘Young America’ prepares for sea, San Francisco 1870 by John Steven Dews
Acquired directly from the artist
- 26.00 x 44.00 ins
66.04 x 111.76 cms
- Oil on canvas
- Catalogue No:
- About Artwork
- Buy With Confidence
“Young America” Prepares for Sea – commissioned exclusively for Trinity House.
‘Young America’ is depicted preparing for sea while wreathed in a typical, lingering San Francisco early morning fog.
Set against a backdrop of the city’s famous Telegraph Hill, the scene also features a traditional small fishing vessel on her way to Fisherman’s Wharf – perfectly encapsulating the atmosphere of San Francisco Bay.
John Steven Dews tells us his inspiration behind the piece: “I painted this painting in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. I had been loaned studio space right on the harbour front with two sailing ships alongside, next to my studio, schooners sailing in and out of the harbour, the clip clopping of horses in the streets behind me and fog rolling in and out of the bay beyond…how much inspiration does an artist need to paint a picture of San Francisco in 1870?
‘Young America’ is making final preparations for sea. She has just been hauled clear of her berth below Telegraph Hill, San Francisco.
Whilst the expected breeze fills in and rolls the fog away, her remaining passengers board, anticipating another possible record breaking passage to New York.”
If you'd like to learn more about John Steven Dews, visit the artist page.
About John Steven Dews
Acquired directly from the artist
- Professional Associations - We have built up a strong reputation for the quality of the paintings, drawings and sculpture that we curate, exhibit and sell. Our professional associations with bodies such as The British Antique Dealers’ Association (BADA) and the Association of Art & Antique Dealers (LAPADA) are as a result of our reputation for integrity, our wide knowledge of fine arts and the high quality of our stock. Our business standards and expertise are reviewed regularly to adhere vigorously with enforced Codes. Our memberships and commitment to its Code of Conducts, gives our buyers confidence when purchasing a work from us.
- Authenticity - Condition reports and certificates of authenticity vary in their nature by artwork, for more information on your pieces of interest, please enquire with the gallery.
- Artwork images - We take pride in the attention we give to our images of the artworks for purchase and invest in these to ensure outputs are aligned as closely as possible to the item in reality. We do not apply filters or modify images, we provide high quality images to reflect the high quality of our artworks.
Your purchase process
- Payment processing - You can be assured that payments are securely processed through Worldpay's trusted payment gateway.
- Shipping and packaging - Shipping and packaging requirements are assessed per piece to ensure the most suitable protection for the artwork. Trinity House will therefore call following purchase to agree the recommendations and costs.
We offer the following services which we will be happy to discuss with you following your purchase, alternatively you can enquire for more information.
- Insurance - We offer insurance appraisals to protect your prised artwork and help you find the right cover and policy for you.
- Framing - We are able to advise on framing and have access to every type and style to suit any artistic period or room setting.
- Conservation - The nature of the materials involved in a painting mean that on occasion some pieces are susceptible to movement and the effects of natural ageing. We are able to provide advice on practical measures to conserve the original condition of a piece and have relationships with restorers and framers to offer you a range of services to meet your needs.