Belleroche’s talent was recognized by his contemporaries – Degas owned three lithographs by Belleroche and in the early 1890s the French state acquired a painting for the Luxembourg Gallery. Roger-Marx, the critic who discovered Renoir, was amongst Belleroche’s fervent admirers, referring to him as ‘le peintre des femmes decoiffées’ (Gazette de Beaux-Arts,vol. XLX, January 1905). He held commercial exhibitions at the Goupil Gallery (1903), Graves, London (1906), Colnaghi’s (1941) and Walker Gallery, London (1942). As however he had no need to live from his art, he rarely took on commissioned portraits, instead choosing models and sitters who interested him. A room in the Musée D’Orange is dedicated to Belleroche.
DIMENSIONS: (unframed) 25.0 x 10.5 ins/ 63.5 x 26.7 cms
SIGNATURE: Signed lower right
MEDIUM: Oil on canvas