Olympia, 1965 by Ben Nicholson
- Property from the holdings of The Ford Foundation, purchased...
- 22.80 x 19.80 ins
57.91 x 50.29 cms
- Signed 'Nicholson' (on the reverse); signed again and dated 'NICHOLSON 1965' (on the backboard)
- Ink on paper
- Catalogue No:
- About Artwork
- Buy With Confidence
Pieces such as Olympia, take the concept of still life to its bare bones, and present a profound and timeless commentary on the tradition itself. By the early 1950’s, colour was beginning to play a much less crucial role in Nicholson’s art as the paintings regained the aesthetic purity of his earlier abstract work. Meanwhile, Nicholson’s unique ability to give the illusion of form with so few lines, reinforces the status of the paintings themselves as physical objects.
This work is ink and oil wash on paper.
If you'd like to learn more about Ben Nicholson, visit the artist page.
About Ben Nicholson
Property from the holdings of The Ford Foundation, purchased in 1966 at Galerie Gimpel & Hanover, Ben Nicholson Recent Work, June - July 1966;
Private Collection, United Kingdom
- Professional Associations - We have built up a strong reputation for the quality of the paintings, drawings and sculpture that we curate, exhibit and sell. Our professional associations with bodies such as The British Antique Dealers’ Association (BADA) and the Association of Art & Antique Dealers (LAPADA) are as a result of our reputation for integrity, our wide knowledge of fine arts and the high quality of our stock. Our business standards and expertise are reviewed regularly to adhere vigorously with enforced Codes. Our memberships and commitment to its Code of Conducts, gives our buyers confidence when purchasing a work from us.
- Authenticity - Condition reports and certificates of authenticity vary in their nature by artwork, for more information on your pieces of interest, please enquire with the gallery.
- Artwork images - We take pride in the attention we give to our images of the artworks for purchase and invest in these to ensure outputs are aligned as closely as possible to the item in reality. We do not apply filters or modify images, we provide high quality images to reflect the high quality of our artworks.
Your purchase process
- Payment processing - You can be assured that payments are securely processed through Worldpay's trusted payment gateway.
- Shipping and packaging - Shipping and packaging requirements are assessed per piece to ensure the most suitable protection for the artwork. Trinity House will therefore call following purchase to agree the recommendations and costs.
We offer the following services which we will be happy to discuss with you following your purchase, alternatively you can enquire for more information.
- Insurance - We offer insurance appraisals to protect your prised artwork and help you find the right cover and policy for you.
- Framing - We are able to advise on framing and have access to every type and style to suit any artistic period or room setting.
- Conservation - The nature of the materials involved in a painting mean that on occasion some pieces are susceptible to movement and the effects of natural ageing. We are able to provide advice on practical measures to conserve the original condition of a piece and have relationships with restorers and framers to offer you a range of services to meet your needs.