Le jardin au printemps, 1897 by Achille Lauge
- Private Collection, United States;
- 19.00 x 24.00 ins
48.26 x 60.96 cms
- Signed and dated lower left 'Laugé / '97’
- Oil on canvas
- Catalogue No:
- About Artwork
- Buy With Confidence
This work is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity from Nicole Tamburini, dated 7 September 2006.
In this beautiful painting, the viewer is transported into the artist’s very own garden in Spring. The beauty of the abundant cherry blossom and newly grown grass is carefully rendered using thin systematically placed strokes onto the canvas; a technique he adopted at the end of the 1890s. The division and use of bold blocks of colour has divided the composition into sections and helps the viewer understand the layered quality of the landscape. As his friend the French artist Antoine Bourdelle has noted, Laugé’s ‘art is one of great sensitivity and controlled reason; he is a master of light.’ This sensitivity is seen by the way he depicts each blade of grass and each individual blossom. In this work, the viewer can see what the critic Gustave Geffroy meant when he said that Laugé’s oeuvres are ‘filled with sunlight, but through a harmonious prism; to an acute and discerning vision is added the delicate, ethereal quality of imagination.’Auguste Laugé has truly created a stunning work; a prime example of his ability to paint the translucence and quality of light.
If you'd like to learn more about Achille Lauge, visit the artist page.
About Achille Lauge
Private Collection, United States;
Private Collection, United Kingdom
- Professional Associations - We have built up a strong reputation for the quality of the paintings, drawings and sculpture that we curate, exhibit and sell. Our professional associations with bodies such as The British Antique Dealers’ Association (BADA) and the Association of Art & Antique Dealers (LAPADA) are as a result of our reputation for integrity, our wide knowledge of fine arts and the high quality of our stock. Our business standards and expertise are reviewed regularly to adhere vigorously with enforced Codes. Our memberships and commitment to its Code of Conducts, gives our buyers confidence when purchasing a work from us.
- Authenticity - Condition reports and certificates of authenticity vary in their nature by artwork, for more information on your pieces of interest, please enquire with the gallery.
- Artwork images - We take pride in the attention we give to our images of the artworks for purchase and invest in these to ensure outputs are aligned as closely as possible to the item in reality. We do not apply filters or modify images, we provide high quality images to reflect the high quality of our artworks.
Your purchase process
- Payment processing - You can be assured that payments are securely processed through Worldpay's trusted payment gateway.
- Shipping and packaging - Shipping and packaging requirements are assessed per piece to ensure the most suitable protection for the artwork. Trinity House will therefore call following purchase to agree the recommendations and costs.
We offer the following services which we will be happy to discuss with you following your purchase, alternatively you can enquire for more information.
- Insurance - We offer insurance appraisals to protect your prised artwork and help you find the right cover and policy for you.
- Framing - We are able to advise on framing and have access to every type and style to suit any artistic period or room setting.
- Conservation - The nature of the materials involved in a painting mean that on occasion some pieces are susceptible to movement and the effects of natural ageing. We are able to provide advice on practical measures to conserve the original condition of a piece and have relationships with restorers and framers to offer you a range of services to meet your needs.