The Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship built on the Clyde in 1869 for the Jock Willis Shipping Line and was one of the last tea clippers to be built and one of the fastest. The Cutty Sark spent only a few years on the tea trade before turning to the wool trade from Australia, where she held the record time to Britain for ten years. The Cutty Sark was sold to the Portuguese company Ferreira and Co. in 1895, and renamed Ferreira. She continued as a cargo ship until purchased by retired sea captain Wilfred Dowman in 1922, who used her as a training ship operating from Falmouth, Cornwall. In 1938 she became an auxiliary cadet training ship alongside H.M.S. Worcester. By 1954 she had ceased to be useful as a cadet ship and was transferred to permanent dry dock at Greenwich, London, on public display.
She is one of only three remaining original composite construction (wooden hull on an iron frame) clipper ships from the nineteenth century, the others being in Adelaide, Australia and near Punta Arenas, Chile.